Defensive Driving

Defensive Driving

You may be able to require that this charge be dismissed by successfully completing a driving safety course or a motorcycle operator training course. You will lose that right if, on or before your appearance date, you do not provide the court with notice of your request to take the course.

You do NOT qualify for defensive driving/driver safety course if any of the following applies:
  • You completed a driver safety course in the twelve months preceding the date you received your citation. (This must be verified by you prior to requesting to take a driver safety course.)
  • You have a commercial driver's license;
  • You were speeding 25 miles or more over the posted speed limit;
  • You were speeding in excess of 95 m.p.h.;
  • You committed an offense in a construction work maintenance zone when workers are present;
  • You committed the offense of passing a school bus or leaving the scene of an accident.
If none of the above apply, you must make your request (either in person or online) by the plea date printed on your citation to request to take a driving safety course. You must present your driver license and proof of valid liability insurance. If you were cited for speeding in a school zone you will need to pay the Court $169.00; all other moving violations will be $144.00. Acceptable forms of payment are cash, money order, Visa, and Mastercard.

Once you receive approval from the court you will have 90 days to file proof of successful completion of a driver safety course and your driving record. Your driving safety course must be approved by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation and your driving record must be a certified copy from the Texas Department of Public Safety. The cost for the driving record is $12.00 (type 3A) and can be obtained online at Upon the timely filing of the documentation required by the court your citation will be dismissed and will not be reported to your driving record.

If you have already completed your course and obtained your driving record you can submit the documents to  Please sign the certificate of completion prior to e-mailing it.

The Grapevine Municipal Court now accepts e-filed certificates and driving records. Course providers who are approved for e-filing will show e-filing options on their website.