Whether it’s relaxing by the beach, hiking in the mountains, or even just a quick getaway, this is the top season for vacations. Before leaving town, there are some steps to help protect your property, so you don’t return home as a crime victim.
- Put all mail, newspapers and packages on hold. If you end up getting something delivered unexpectedly, reach out to a friend or neighbor to keep it safe until you return home.
- Set timers for lights, and set them to random times each day. This helps create the illusion of someone being home.
- Triple check that all doors, windows, pet doors and your garage are locked.
- Close all blinds and curtains to prevent people from looking into your home.
- Leave a car in the driveway to make it look like someone is home. If you are taking your car with you, ask a neighbor to park in your driveway.
- Install a motion-activated light in your yard, and set a timer for your porch light each evening.
- Wait until you are back home to post any photos on social media. This will prevent burglars from knowing when you are gone.