The City began updating its P-Card process within two weeks of being advised of concerns with P-Card usage by the former Parks and Library Directors. Some highlights of the changes are listed below and a summary of the changes is located at https://www.grapevinetexas.gov/DocumentCenter/View/8862/pcard-grid.
Finally, the entire P-Card policy can be found at https://www.grapevinetexas.gov/DocumentCenter/View/8863/PROCUREMENT-CARD-Policy. Of course, this is a fluid situation and so communication with all employees and training on the new policy is ongoing. Any updates will be provided here to keep the public informed.
1. All transactions are reviewed by finance and at least one other staff member
2. Reduction of P-Cards users by over sixty percent (60%)
3. Standard monthly and single transaction limits for users were reduced
4. P-Cards no longer permitted to be used for technology purchases except by the Information Technology Department
5. P-Cards no longer allowed to be used for donations
6. Gifts cards are no longer allowed to be purchased with P-Cards
In addition to these changes, P-Card transactions by all other cardholders were reviewed internally by Finance staff and externally by the City’s outside auditor. Both of those reviews confirmed that the misuse of P-Cards was isolated to the two former employees. The Weaver firm identified the amounts that were likely not for a valid business purpose for each of the former employees. The former Parks Director has repaid that amount identified by the Weaver firm in its entirety. The former Library Director remains obligated to repay her amount.
The City will continue to monitor the effectiveness of these changes to the P-Card program to ensure that they successfully protect the City.