Solicitors Permits


A Solicitor's Permit is required for peddlers and solicitors--including door to door sales and mobile vendors per Chapter 17 of the Grapevine Code of Ordinances. As long as there is no contact with the property owners, a permit is not required to leave handbills. 

Visit the How to Obtain a Permit page to download the application, view rules and regulations, and to see application fees.

 Citizen Information on Solicitors

What is soliciting?

Soliciting is any person who goes from house to house or from place to place in the city soliciting, selling or taking orders for any services, goods, wares, or merchandise, of any nature or kind whatsoever.

Solicitation is not a permitted activity in the City of Grapevine without the appropriate permit.  However, there are requirements that solicitors must adhere to even after receiving their permit.

The full ordinance, Chapter 17 of the Grapevine Code of Ordinances, can be found online at this link.

Can a solicitor ring my doorbell?

Yes, with the appropriate permit.

When is a solicitor not allowed to ring my doorbell?

It shall be unlawful for any person acting as a peddler or solicitor to go in or upon the premises of a private residence in the City prior to 9:00 a.m. or after dusk (30 minutes after sunset) of any day, Monday through Saturday, or at any time on Sunday or any other federally designated holiday.

What if I do not want a solicitor to ring my doorbell?

Conspicuously post a sign that such activity is not welcomed with a sign that contains the words no peddling or soliciting, or words of similar meaning. 

Additionally, you may register your address to be added to the City of Grapevine’s Do-Not Solicit list.

What activities are not considered soliciting and do not require a permit?

  • Leaving handbills on doorknobs or under residential or commercial floor-mats.
  • Religious organizations exclusively for the distribution of literature and other items for the purpose of proselytizing, provided that no fees are charged and no donations are solicited.
  • Anonymous political speech. 
  • Newspaper solicitations. 
  • Any operation which is exempted by state or federal statute from Chapter 17, only to the extent of such applicable exemption.

What are some tips for dealing with door to door solicitors?

  • If the solicitor does not go away peacefully after you ask, call the police non-emergency line at (817) 410-8127.  If you need to report aggressive or threatening solicitors to police immediately dial 9-1-1.
  • Report suspicious solicitors by calling the non-emergency dispatch line at (817) 410-8127.
  • Follow identity theft prevention guidelines by never giving your social security number, credit card information or checks to anyone who solicits you and you cannot verify they legitimately represent an organization or charity.