What greater gift to an animal than adoption! After all, you will forever change a homeless dog or cat's life for the better. At Grapevine Animal Services, we have dogs, cats, puppies, kittens, and small domesticated pets that have come to us after they became lost or when their owners could no longer care for them.
What Do I Need To Do To Adopt?
- Find an animal you are interested in by coming to the shelter or looking at the available pets online.
- Visit with the animal you are interested in.
- Complete a questionnaire to ensure the best match between adopter and adoptee. Adopters must be 18 years old age or older and will be signing a contract to accept care and responsibility of the animal.
- Bring a valid picture ID.
- Pay the adoption fee.
What Is Included With The Adoption?
- All animals (species appropriate) will be sterilized and have basic vaccinations, including rabies, before adoption.
- All animals (species appropriate) are microchipped with 24PetWatch chips. The registration of the chip is completed for you by the shelter at no additional charge and includes lifetime enrollment.
- Adopters may opt in to a complimentary 30 days of accident and illness insurance provided by 24PetWatch Pet Insurance.
- Dogs will be sent home with a leash and cats and other small pets in a carrier.
What Do I Do After Adoption?
- Schedule an appointment with your veterinarian to establish a relationship and baseline for your new pet's well-being.
- Consider crating your new dog if leaving them unsupervised.
- When introducing a pet into your household an adjustment phase of up to 1-2 months should be allowed for.
- Seek out positive reinforcement training classes to encourage bonding with your new dog and obedience.
- Remember that each cat should have access to their own litter box to keep one cat from preventing another cat from having a chance to use the box.
- Remember to update your microchip contact information whenever you change addresses, email, or phone numbers.